Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Humbling Experience

I completed my second 5K today. Well, first really, since the first one I ran was a 6K. It was a truly humbling experience. My wife, Andrea, used my first run as a motivating factor for her to get into running. So, she got together with our pastor and came up with a plan: we would start a bible study/run group with our church and run twice a week to train for a monthly 5K.

It just so happens that the first 5K we were planning to run was the first annual Sarah White: Scare Your Fear Memorial Scholarship 5K.  Sarah was a local teacher that valiantly fought cancer, only to come up short about a year ago.  I did not know Sarah or her husband Brian, but had heard bits and pieces of their story, mainly through Facebook. If you believe in such a thing, you might say that it was quite the coincidence that we chose this run as our first run. As for me, I'm not much on coincidence; I choose to believe in God's perfect plan.

Have I mentioned that Andrea has an aneurysm in her brain? She has been blogging about it and trying to keep all of our friends and family up to date. If you want her side of the story, go over to her blog and check it out.  Here are the details: an aneurysm is basically a weakened spot in a vessel that is susceptible to rupturing. She has a significant family history of this happening, and the result is frequently death. So, we have been getting many tests and her neurosurgeon is on the verge of recommending surgery. Brain surgery. That's scary. Looking at the statistics on aneurysm repairs makes it even more scary. Depending on where you look, around 40% of people that have an aneurysm rupture die. Around 4% of people die in the operating room getting their aneurysm clipped and 12% come away with significant side effects. Weighing these numbers and the options for treatment have been, well, scary.

The outpouring of support through advice, thoughts, and prayers to our family during this time has been amazing. Friends, family, and acquaintances have reached out to offer their support and we really appreciate it. I'd like to share part of an exchange with one of my "internet friends" that has touched my heart. After sharing Andrea's latest blog post, I received a direct message on twitter from this person that read, "You normally don't love people you've never met, but my wife and I love you, Andrea, and Maddie. The Grace of God does some pretty amazing things."

Back to today: Maddie is sick. She woke up with an eye almost swollen shut. She's had a productive cough for a few days and ran a low grade fever off and on over that time. So, we called the Pediatrician's office this morning and were told to go to urgent care so that she could be prescribed antibiotics to help fight off the infection. After 2+ hours in urgent care and eating lunch, we were on a very tight time schedule to make it to the 5K.  But, by the Grace of God, we made it. This run was very important to Andrea. She wanted to show that, despite the adversity she is facing, she isn't going to let it get her down.

Neither of us placed today, FWIW. I finished 26th overall and just missed the top three for my age group. My time would have been top for the 20-29 age group. Andrea finished 54th overall.  Pretty respectable for her first competitive run and first time running that far.

The most important part of today, for me, happened well after the race had ended and after the awards had been handed out.  Brian White spoke to the runners and shared some personal stories about Sarah.  I cannot tell you what he said, and it didn't matter. It mattered that he said anything at all. I was deeply touched simply by his presence standing in front of the crowd and speaking. Brian, my friend and brother in Christ, I do not know you, but I want you to know that I love you. The Grace of God indeed does some pretty amazing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment