Tuesday, December 11, 2012

And Now, We Wait

I'm sitting in the waiting room as a surgical team pokes around inside my wife's brain. Let that sink in for a bit. My 26 year old wife. Brain surgery.
This is all such a surreal experience. My wife is the picture of health. She is physically fit. She has only complained of focal headaches, which are more than likely unrelated to the  aneurysm the surgeon is currently working to eliminate. Yet here I sit, surrounded by family, friends, and plenty of strangers waiting to hear word on their loved ones.
This surgery is much riskier than the previous non-invasive procedure she went through just a couple weeks ago. This surgery will eliminate the risk of the aneurysm rupturing. But, the associated risks with this procedure are much worse. Her biggest fear is that she will be permanently changed to the point that, somehow, I will no longer be able to love her. That's not going to happen.
It's funny, in a way, to say that. You see, you probably don't know this, but there was a time a few short years ago where we had reached the end of our respective ropes with one another. We separated and were talking about filing divorce papers. We each had our plans and were working those plans. But God's plan was bigger than our plans. He changed our hearts and lives to see what He had in store for us. I, we, are forever grateful.
In a few long hours, my loving wife will come out of surgery. She will have a large swath of hair missing on the left side of her head, a long incision across her scalp, and yet to be determined side effects. I will love her all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment